Kacey advises and represents private and public employers on all aspects of the employment relationship. In particular, she focuses on grievances, human rights issues, wrongful dismissals, discrimination claims, policy reviews, and employment agreements. She has appeared before the Supreme Court of British Columbia and the BC Court of Appeal, as well as the BC Labour Relations Board, the Canada Industrial Relations Board, the BC Human Rights Tribunal, and the Workers’ Compensation Appeal Tribunal.
Kacey has over a decade of experience working with small, medium, and large federal and provincial clients, predominantly in the post-secondary, film and television, and high technology sectors.
Kacey takes a calm, quiet, and practical approach to employment law matters. She enjoys a challenge and specializes in solving seemingly intractable problems. She methodically sifts through information to uncover underlying issues and then, armed with that knowledge, crafts a tailored solution for the situation. She balances her detail-oriented nature with a genuine enjoyment of the human aspect of her work, which fosters strong, long-term relationships with her clients.
Kacey is co-chair of the firm’s Higher Education group.
- Recognized Lawyer, Labour and Employment Law, Best Lawyers in Canada, 2022 – present
- Recognized Lawyer, Education Law, Best Lawyers in Canada, 2024
- Recommended, Workplace Human Rights (Employer), Employment Law (Employer), Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory, 2023
Recent Speaking Engagements
- “Safety and Labour Relations”, BC Municipal Safety Association Annual Conference, September 2019
- “Mental Disability and Duty to Accommodate”, Association of Corporate Counsel, September 2018
- “Changing Family Environments: The Effect On The Workplace”, North Central Local Government Management Association, April 2017
- “Bill 23 And Sexual Misconduct Policy Legislation”, Sexual Violence in Higher Education Conference and Workshop, BC Council of Senior Student Affairs Leaders, February 2017
- “Student Risk In Sexual Harassment”, Risk Management Conference 2016, October 2016
- Employment Law section, (contributor), Lexis Practice Advisor Canada, 2015 – present
- “Social Media In Workplace Screening And Investigations”, Employment and Labour Perspective, Canadian Bar Association, February 2012
Professional & Community Activities
- Member, Canadian Association of University Solicitors
- Member, Employment Law, Human Rights Law, and Labour Law sections, Canadian Bar Association, BC branch
- Member, Canadian Association of Counsel to Employers
- Board Member, Richmond Ravens Female Hockey Association, 2016 – 2020
- Board Member, One Girl Can, 2015 – 2019
- Member, Nominations Committee, YWCA Women of Distinction Awards, 2016 – 2017
- Member, Advisory Committee, YWCA Women of Distinction Awards, 2013 – 2015