Harris & Company is committed to the protection of your personal privacy.
This Policy explains how we collect, use and disclose personal information in the course of our business, including any personal information that we may collect through the operation and use of this website (the “Site”).
References in this Policy to “we”, “us” or “our” and similar terms should be construed as references to Harris & Company LLP, and related and affiliated organizations.
1. Scope of this Policy
This Policy is intended to provide our clients and users of this Site with information about how we collect, use and disclose personal information. The Policy explains what information we collect, how that information is used and disclosed and our commitment to its accuracy and protection.
We comply with the applicable privacy legislation in the jurisdictions in which we operate or provide services. Within British Columbia, Harris & Company LLP is subject to the Personal Information Protection Act. When providing services to our BC public sector clients, we also comply with the applicable provisions of the Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act (BC).
2. Personal Information that We Collect
We may collect personal information anytime you visit this Site or you request legal or related services from us. We collect personal information about our clients and other individuals in the following ways:
- Information Provided Voluntarily. We collect some personal information when it is voluntarily provided to us, such as information that you provide in the course of requesting or receiving legal services or registering for a conference or webinar.
- Information Collected from Third Parties. We may collect some personal information about you from third parties. We will do so with the knowledge and consent of affected individuals, unless we are permitted or required by law to do so without consent.
- Information Collected through this Site. We also collect some information through the use of this Site, such as when you register for a course or an event or when you use this Site to communicate with our lawyers or staff.
We do not collect and use personal information without the consent of affected individuals unless we are required or permitted by law to do so.
3. Personal Information & Use of This Site
Cookies are used to collect anonymous traffic data to assist us with web analytics. Web analytics are tools that analyze how the site is used and to improve visitors’ online experience. These tools work by tagging web pages to capture a limited amount of data (including the internet protocol (“IP”) address of the computer, None of the data compiled using these tools can be used by us to identify users of this Site.
This Site may also contain links to other websites operated by third parties. We do not accept liability or responsibility for the operation of those third party sites. If you choose to access those links, any personal information that you provide will be governed by the policies and practices of those third party sites.
4. How Personal Information is Used and Disclosed
Information collected and used by our lawyers in the course or providing legal advice and related services is subject to solicitor client privilege and is protected by professional obligations of confidentiality. The privileged information of our clients is not used or disclosed by us without their consent.
Information you provide to us may be shared with our lawyers, staff or with other consultants or service providers to the extent that it is reasonable and necessary to deliver services to you or manage or administer our relationship with you.
We use the personal information that we collect for the purposes described above, and for the following purposes:
- To provide legal and related services to our clients.
- To communicate with you about your legal files.
- To comply with legal and regulatory requirements.
- To represent our clients before courts, tribunals and other regulatory bodies.
- To respond to inquiries or concerns that we receive.
- For recruitment and hiring purposes.
- To evaluate and improve our programs and services, including the operation of this Site.
- With appropriate consent, to inform you about events, legal updates or for marketing and promotional purposes.
- For any other purpose for which you have provided us with express consent.
We do not disclose personal information to any other person or organization, except as may be required by law or to comply with a subpoena, summons, warrant or order of a court or statutory tribunal or to protect our rights or property.
5. How we Protect Personal Information
We will take appropriate measures to safeguard the personal information you provide, taking into account the sensitivity of the information. We incorporate physical, technical and organizational security measures into our data security processes.
All personal information collected and used by us is stored entirely within Canada. We do not store or back up any data to servers based outside of Canada.
However, you should be aware that, due to the nature of the internet, there may still exist security or privacy risks and we cannot guarantee that your personal information will not be collected, used or disclosed against our wishes in ways not conforming with this Policy.
We take reasonable measures to ensure that the personal information we collect and use is accurate and up-to-date. However, we are not always aware of changes or updates in personal information. We therefore ask that you advise of any changes in your personal information that may be relevant to our relationship with you. You may access your personal information by contacting our privacy officer listed in this Policy.
7. Changes to This Policy
We retain the right and full discretion to make changes to this Policy from time to time without any notice or liability to you. Changes to this Policy shall have immediate effect.
8. Questions or Concerns
Any questions or concerns that you may have about this policy or how we collect, use or disclose your personal information should be directed to:
604 891 2216