An aging population presents increasing challenges for the healthcare system and there is pressure to provide additional services with limited resources. Health employers are working to streamline their operations through consolidation and shared service opportunities. There have also been major advancements in healthcare technology that improve patient care and efficiency, but integration involves its own challenges. At the same time, recruitment, staffing, and workplace safety remain constant priorities.
Our deep knowledge of the healthcare sector is built on years of experience and solid relationships. Harris & Company acts for health authorities, non-profit and health-related associations, and private healthcare providers.
Our services to this industry go beyond employment and labour advice. We also provide legal advice and assistance with privacy issues, governance issues, RFQ’s, service arrangements, regulatory advice, funding and medical billing issues, and other business-related issues in the public and private healthcare environment.
We understand the relationships between stakeholders, and the legal regulatory landscape in which they must operate. We seek to provide services in a way that is practical, efficient and sensitive to this environment.
We provide a wide range of legal services to our healthcare clients including the following:
- Representing health employers in grievance arbitration, human rights, employment standards, Labour Relations Board and workers’ compensation proceedings and at court;
- Essential services;
- Reorganizing and restructuring;
- Executive compensation and benefits;
- Privacy and access to information requests;
- Human rights;
- Disability management and plans;
- Occupational health and safety;
- Collective agreement negotiation and interpretation;
- Workshops and training;
- Board governance;
- Service agreements and outsourcing;
- Canada Health Act funding and medical billing issues; and
- Regulatory advice and opinions.