Legal News

New Requirements For USA Land and Sea Entry

Effective June 1, 2009, Canadian citizens are required to present a passport or an acceptable alternative document when entering the United States by land or sea. These requirements are part of the Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative border security program.

The following documents are acceptable for presentation at US ports of entry:

  • A valid Canadian passport
  • A trusted traveler program card (e.g. NEXUS or a Free and Secure Trade (FAST) card)
  • An enhanced driver’s license (EDL)
  • A Secure Certificate of Indian Status (when this certificate is available and approved by the United States)

Canadian citizens 15 years of age or under require only proof of Canadian citizenship, such as an original or photocopy of a birth certificate, or a citizenship card. Proof of Canadian citizenship is also sufficient for Canadian minors 18 years of age or under who are travelling with a school or other organized group, under adult supervision with parental/guardian consent.

Further details on these requirements can be found at the Canada Border Services Agency website: