Michael acts for clients in both the public and private sectors, with expertise in the area of education law. In addition to 11 years as a member of Harris’ Education Group, Michael was General Counsel for the BC Public School Employers Association (BCPSEA) and the Vancouver School Board (VSB). He acted as lead negotiator and spokesperson for BCPSEA in bargaining, including during the illegal withdrawal of services in 2005. At VSB he was responsible for education, real estate, and commercial law matters, in addition to labour and employment work. Michael’s past experience affords him unique insights into the education sector and the rare perspective of having been counsel, client, and negotiator.
Michael also held the positions of General Counsel and Director of Employee Relations for the Insurance Corporation of British Columbia (ICBC). While at ICBC, Michael provided general corporate law advice to executive and senior management on employment, labour, compensation, privacy, intellectual property, insurance, and regulatory matters.
Michael’s broad range of experience allows him to gain a quick and deep understanding of the operational and human issues which underlie his clients’ labour and employment disputes. By adeptly identifying the heart of the issue, Michael can find and implement creative tactics to help his clients reach their objectives.
- Recognized Lawyer, Education Law and Labour; Employment Law, Best Lawyers in Canada, 2022 – present
Recent Speaking Engagements
- “Managing Performance Of Employees With Mental Health And Addiction Disabilities“, (panelist), Chartered Professionals in Human Resources of BC & Yukon Annual Conference, May 2018
Professional & Community Involvement
- Member, Chartered Professionals in Human Resources of British Columbia and Yukon
- Member, Vancouver Bar Association
- Board Member, North Shore Girls Soccer Club, 2017 – present