Israel was a founding partner of the firm Taylor Jordan Chafetz and together with his colleagues, joined Harris in December 2014. Israel provides ongoing advice relating to an employer’s statutory and collective agreement obligations. He is an effective advocate appearing on behalf of employers before the Labour Relations Board, the Employment Standards Tribunal, the Human Rights Tribunal, arbitration boards and both Provincial and Federal Courts. He practises in multiple jurisdictions across Canada and is active in a number of sectors, including retail food, food processing, maritime, transportation, and publishing.
Israel shares the knowledge and insights accrued over a 35-year career with others. He has taught at the University of British Columbia’s Faculty of Commerce, been published in the area of labour law, and has lectured at various industry events and conferences.
Israel is a published author and a multiple winner of the Advocate short story contest.
- Listed Lawyer, Labour and Employment Law, Best Lawyers in Canada, 2006 – present
- Recommended, Labour Relations – Management, Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory, 2016 – present
- Distinguished, Peer Rated for High Professional Achievement, Martindale-Hubbell
- “The Caffeine Conspiracy”, 1st Place, Short Story Contest, The Advocate, 2017
- “Ben’s Way Out”, (authored), 2007
- “Partners Meeting”, 1st Place, Short Story Contest, The Advocate, 2007
Professional & Community Involvement
- Director and Member of President’s Council, Vancouver Symphony Society
- Counsel, Vancouver Opera Society
- Counsel, Vancouver Art Gallery
- Member, Advisory Group, Imasco Ltd.
- Member, Labour Law section, Canadian Bar Association, BC branch
- Former Director/Chairman, Audit Committee for Westfair Foods Limited