Geoff has practised in the areas of workplace law and litigation for approximately 30 years. Geoff has built his practice by offering strategic, straightforward and practical advice to his clients, with a strong focus on responsiveness and service. He represents both private and public sector employers in a wide variety of industries.
Geoff has appeared on appeals before the Supreme Court of Canada, the Federal Court of Appeal, and the BC Court of Appeal. He acts for employers in wrongful dismissal actions, debt actions, injunction applications, long-term disability cases, and other court matters. He also represents employers in collective bargaining, arbitration and human rights hearings, labour relations board proceedings, and before other administrative tribunals.
From 2009 to 2014, Geoff was our firm’s Managing Partner and was a member of our firm’s Management Committee for 12 years. He has also sat on boards of directors of not-for-profit organizations.
- Litigation Star, Labour and Employment, Benchmark Litigation Canada, 2023
- 5-Star Employment Lawyer, Canadian HR Reporter, 2022
- Recognized Lawyer, Employee Benefits Law, Best Lawyers in Canada, 2010 – present
- Recognized Lawyer, Labour and Employment Law, Best Lawyers in Canada, 2015 – present
- Repeatedly Recommended Lawyer, Employment Law (Employer), Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory, 2017 – present
- Recognized Lawyer, Employment & Labour – British Columbia and Nationwide, Chambers Canada, 2016 – present
- Ranked Lawyer, Labour & Employment, Who’s Who Legal Labour, 2016 – present
- “Shop Talk: Defamation And Communications Issues In The Workplace”, The Continuing Legal Education Society of BC, November 2014
- “Great Canadian Railtour Company vs. Teamsters Local Union 31, 2012 BCCA 238”, (counsel comment contributor), Take Five, OnPoint Legal Research, July 2012
- “An Employer’s Guide To Dismissal: A National Resource For Human Resource Personnel”, (co-author), Canada Law Book, second edition, 2007
Professional & Community Activities
- Director (and Past President), Hollyburn Country Club, 2013 – 2019
- Member, Employment Law and Labour Law sections, Canadian Bar Association, BC branch
- Former Managing Partner, Harris & Company, 2009 – 2014
- Former Director, The Georgians (Alumni of St. George’s School), 2011 – 2015