The largest area of Andy’s practice is occupational health and safety (OHS), an expanding area of the law and one of increasing concern for employers. He provides strategic advice and representation to his clients on issues relating to the Workers Compensation Act, the Occupational Health and Safety Regulation, the Canada Labour Code, and associated federal OHS regulations. He is especially skilled at working on matters regarding serious injuries and fatalities, and advising clients on how to avoid administrative penalties and prosecutions.
Andy spent three years as in-house counsel at the BC Labour Relations Board, where he obtained in-depth exposure to labour law and administrative law issues. Having an insider’s view of the internal workings of an administrative tribunal allows him to more effectively serve his clients in proceedings before administrative agencies and tribunals such as WorkSafeBC, the Workers’ Compensation Appeal Tribunal, and the Occupational Health and Safety Tribunal Canada.
Andy has represented both provincially and federally regulated public and private sector employers involved in a wide range of activities, including local government, education, hospitality, insurance, forestry, mining, construction, manufacturing, warehousing and distribution, property management, retail, healthcare, and the arts.
- Recognized Lawyer, Workers’ Compensation Law, Best Lawyers in Canada, 2020
Recent Speaking Engagements
- “Trending Issues In Workers Compensation And Occupational Health And Safety” (Co-presenter), Health Authorities’ Workplace Health & Safety Leadership Education, June 2018
- “Minimizing The Risk Of A Discriminatory Action Complaint”, Canadian Society of Safety Engineering, Lower Mainland Chapter of British Columbia, May 2018
- “Health and Safety: On And Off The Employers’ Premise”, Human Resource Management for Aboriginal Organizations, INFONEX, September 2017
- “Occupational Health And Safety Update”, (co-presenter), Health Authority Occupational Health and Safety Managers Conference, June 2017
- “Do Not Pass Go…Go Straight To Jail”, Canadian Society of Safety, Lower Mainland Chapter of British Columbia, 2015
Professional & Community Activities
- Member, Administrative Law and Labour Law sections, Canadian Bar Association, BC Branch
- Member, Chartered Professionals in Human Resources of British Columbia and Yukon
- Member, Employers’ Forum
- Member, Canadian Society of Safety Engineering