Adriana advises and advocates for clients on workplace law matters, with emphasis on labour relations, human rights, and employment issues. While representing clients in both the public and private sectors, Adriana has particular expertise with municipal and health employers, and with the broader public sector, including crown corporations.
Adriana combines the foundational belief that clients want practical solutions to workplace problems with over 30 years’ experience with employment relationships, particularly unionized workplace environments.
Clients regularly consult Adriana prior to taking action, enabling the practical issues and problems to be assessed in a legal context. Adriana’s approach is to acquire in-depth knowledge of a client’s operations, business objectives, and other factors, enabling her to provide options which are relevant, contextual, and avoid legal and other risks.
Adriana has developed and presented training ranging from first-line supervisory skills to more complex subjects relating to the application of human rights principles. She believes in working as part of the employer’s team to ensure managers and supervisors are aware of potential pitfalls and know to seek advice in a timely way.
As an advocate, Adriana is focused and relentless. She has appeared before arbitration boards, the Labour Relations Board, the Human Rights Tribunal, and at the BC Supreme Court and Court of Appeal.
- Recognized Lawyer, Labour and Employment Law, Best Lawyers in Canada, 2010 – present
- Recommended, Workplace Human Rights – Employer, Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory, 2015 – present
- Distinguished, Peer Rated for High Professional Achievement, Martindale Hubbell
Recent Speaking Engagements
- Conference Co-Chair, “Bargaining in the Broader Public Sector”, Lancaster House, November 2018
- “What’s New?”, 14th Annual Northern Symposium, Chartered Professionals in Human Resources of BC & Yukon, September 2018
- “Mental Illness in the Workplace”, Local Mainland Local Government Management Association of BC, April 2018
- “Accommodation”, Fire Chiefs’ Association of BC Annual Conference, January 2018
- “What’s New? Labour Law And Human Rights Update”, 13th Annual Northern Symposium, Chartered Professionals in Human Resources of BC & Yukon, September 2017
- “Transgender Inclusion Across Local Government Services, Facilities, And Operations”, (co-presenter), Local Government Management Association of BC Conference, May 2017
- “Managing In A Unionized Environment”, North Central Local Government Management Association, April 2017
- “Qualicum Beach Experience – Recovering And Repairing Relationships Following Labour Dispute”, (panelist), 2016 Annual Conference, Vancouver Island Chapter Local Government Management Association of BC, November 2016
- “Legal Updates For HR: Annual Review”, Annual Northern Symposium, Human Resources Management Association, September 2016
- “Handling Dishonest Employees”, Annual Northern Symposium, Human Resources Management Association, September 2016
- “Collective Bargaining Strategies And Interest Arbitration”, (panelist), Canadian Association of Counsel to Employers 2016 Annual Conference, September 2016
- “Challenged And Challenging Employee: Performance Management”, 2016 Spring Annual Joint Chapters Conference, West Kootenay Boundary and Rocky Mountain Local Government Management Association of BC, April 2016
- “Addiction Treatment And Substance Use Policies In Unionized Workplaces”, Human Rights Conference 2014, The Continuing Legal Education Society of BC, November 2014
Professional & Community Activities
- Board Member, Health & Home Care Society of BC
- Member, Canadian Association of Counsel to Employers
- Member, Human Rights Subcommittee, Canadian Association of Counsel to Employers
- Member, 2017 Conference Committee, Canadian Association of Counsel to Employers
- Member, Canadian Bar Association