Universities, colleges and institutes are unique communities. To be successful, higher learning institutions must delicately balance the diverse interests of their students, faculty, administrators, support staff, trade unions, and other stakeholders, while operating with limited financial resources in an increasingly complex and regulated environment.
At Harris & Company, we are trusted and experienced counsel to the leading institutions in British Columbia’s university and post-secondary sectors. We serve as a strategic business partner, providing advice and representation not only on all aspects of workplace law, but also on governance, policy development, statutory compliance, government relations, strategic planning, student relations, and a variety of other higher learning issues.
Our services for the university and post-secondary sectors include:
- Labour relations
- Human resources and employee relations
- Student relations
- Collective bargaining
- Human rights and accommodation
- Investigation and prevention of bullying, harassment, sexual violence and misconduct
- Access to information access and privacy
- Risk management
- Strategic planning
- Policy development
- Employment contracts and service agreements
- Statutory, regulatory and policy issues
- Government relations
- Workers Compensation
- Occupational Health & Safety
- Employment standards
- Customized training
- Commercial and land disputes
Harris is your daily resource, equipped to advise on best practices for mitigating risk. We bring our experience and depth of knowledge to bear, to protect the interests of your institution and its community.