B.C. has a robust $3 billion film, television, and new media industry. This includes production companies, related businesses, industry support services, facilities rental market, and the visual effects and animation sectors. Producers working with tight timelines and budgets understand the importance of responsive service and labour stability and certainty, as well as avoiding labour disputes in the unionized and non-unionized environment. As competition grows for skilled workers and studio space, employers are more concerned than ever about responsible employment, labour relations, and Occupational Health & Safety.
With over 30 years of legal experience in the industry, we have seen firsthand how film, television, and new media have evolved in this province. Our clients include film and television studios, production and post-production companies, animation studios, television networks, film and television distributors, new media companies, visual effects and game development companies. This broad and deep range of experience has enabled us to develop a feel for the industry that only comes from decades of experience and involvement in these sectors.
We provide a broad range of workplace legal advice including the following:
- Employment contracts and negotiations;
- Employee misconduct and disciplinary investigations and proceedings;
- Collective agreement arbitrations and Labour Relations Board and court representation;
- Litigation (such as that relating to wrongful dismissals, etc.);
- Alternate dispute resolution, including mediation;
- Privacy issues (such as employees using social media improperly);
- Human rights;
- Regulatory matters, including Workers Compensation and Occupational Health & Safety issues; and
- Advice on collective agreement bargaining and interpretation.