The Provincial Health Officer has now issued a written order with respect to Vancouver Coastal Health (except Bella Coola Valley and Central Coast) and Fraser Health, further to verbal orders that were first issued on November 7, 2020, with regard to social gatherings, indoor sport activities and other matters. The Order remains place until Monday, November 23, 2020, at 12:00 p.m.
The Order includes the following requirements for workplace safety:
F. WORKPLACE SAFETY
- Employers must review their COVID-19 Safety Plans to ensure that they adequately protect workers from the transmission of COVID-19 in the workplace and are consistent with WorkSafeBC requirements.
- An employer of a worker who is working in a workplace other than the worker’s private residence must ensure that the worker has done a daily health check for the symptoms of COVID-19.
- If an employer is not satisfied that a worker has done a daily health check the employer must not permit the worker to work at the workplace.
- Employers should encourage workers to work from their private residence if feasible, unless there is a preference on the part of the employer or the worker for the worker to work at the workplace.
- Employers must ensure that their COVID-19 Safety Plan includes measures to prevent workers from crowding together or congregating in higher risk spaces, including elevators, lobbies, stairwells, corridors, bathrooms, break rooms and kitchens.
The latest Order can be accessed here.
Note to our Readers: Information regarding COVID-19 is rapidly evolving. We are working to bring you up-to-date articles as the legal issues develop and to keep our previous posts updated. Given that the legal issues related to COVID-19 are constantly changing, if you are looking for legal advice or are dealing with an issue in relation to COVID-19, please contact your Harris lawyer or a member of our COVID-19 response team: Sari Wiens, Ilan Burkes, Nicole Toye or Jessica Fairbairn.
To read our most recent articles and other updates on COVID-19, visit our COVID-19 Updates page.