Online applications opened on May 1, 2020 for the B.C. Emergency Benefit for Workers (BCEBW). The BCEBW is a one-time, tax-free payment of $1,000 for eligible B.C. residents whose ability to work has been affected because of the COVID-19 pandemic.
In order to be eligible for the BCEBW, individuals must:
- be a resident of B.C. on March 15, 2020;
- meet the eligibility requirements for the CERB, i.e.:
- Received at least $5,000 of income in 2019 or in the 12 months before the application;
- Ceased working for at least 14 consecutive days for reasons related to COVID-19 (e.g. sickness, quarantine, caregiving of family member due to COVID-19);
- Not received more than $1,000 in income during the benefits period;
- have been approved for the CERB, even if a federal benefit payment has not yet been received;
- be at least 15 years old on the date of application;
- have filed, or agree to file, a 2019 B.C. income tax return; and
- not be receiving provincial income assistance or disability assistance.
Eligible individuals can now apply for the B.C. Emergency Benefit for Workers (BCEBW) online. Applicants will need to have their social insurance number and direct deposit information available. A link to the government information bulletin is available here.
Starting on Monday, May 4, 2020, agents will be available by phone to assist with applications. Support is available Monday to Friday, 8:30 am to 4:30 pm at 778-309-4630 or 1-855-955-3545 (toll free).
Note to our Readers: Information regarding COVID-19 is rapidly evolving. We are working to bring you up-to-date articles as the legal issues develop and to keep our previous posts updated. Given that the legal issues related to COVID-19 are constantly changing, if you are looking for legal advice or are dealing with an issue in relation to COVID-19, please contact your Harris lawyer or a member of our COVID-19 response team: Sari Wiens, Ilan Burkes, Nicole Toye or Jessica Fairbairn.
To read our most recent articles and other updates on COVID-19, visit our COVID-19 Updates page.