Scott advises and represents employers in all areas of labour and employment law. His practice focuses on human resources, terminations, policy development, and human rights. Scott has experience appearing before arbitration boards, a variety of administrative tribunals, and has appeared as counsel in all levels of court in British Columbia.
Scott acts for a broad spectrum of clients in both the public and private sector, across nearly all industries, including not for profit. As the leader of Harris’ Indigenous employment law practice area, he provides legal advice, policy development, and training seminars for a number of Bands and First Nations and other Indigenous organizations in British Columbia, Alberta, Yukon, and Northwest Territories.
Scott focuses on providing his clients with solid, common sense, day-to-day advice. He’s a good listener, patient and careful, and speaks to all people as equals. His attentive and inclusive approach allows him to work successfully with a wide variety of people, while also educating himself on his clients’ perspectives and needs. Scott takes a proactive approach with his clients to improve their workplace situations, educating them, so they can solve problems as they arise.
- Listed Lawyer, Labour and Employment Law, Best Lawyers in Canada, 2019 – present
Recent Speaking Engagement
- “Human Rights In The First Nations Workplace”, Human Resource Management for Aboriginal Organizations, INFONEX, September 2017
- “Canada Labour Code Or BC Employment Standards Act?”, First Nations Human Resources Conference, Aboriginal Financial Officers Association of British Columbia, September 2016
- “Accommodating Episodic Disabilities: A Guide To Dealing With Chronic And Recurring Health Conditions”, Lancaster House, April 2016
- “Conducting Workplace Investigations”, First Nations Human Resources Conference, Aboriginal Financial Officers Association of British Columbia, September 2015
- “Human Resources PolicyPro – British Columbia Edition” (legal editor), 2014 – present
- Employment Standards section, Employment and Labour, Due Diligence Deskbook, 2012 – present
- Human Rights section, Employment and Labour, Due Diligence Deskbook, 2012 – present
Professional & Community Involvement
- Member, British Columbia Rugby Union Discipline Committee
- Member, Aboriginal Law – Vancouver, Employment Law, Human Rights Law, and Labour Law sections, Canadian Bar Association, BC branch