Rod practices in the area of corporate and commercial litigation, administrative and constitutional law, and employment law. He has appeared before all levels of court in British Columbia, the Supreme Court of Canada, and at numerous tribunals. Rod also advises post-secondary institutions on a wide range of administrative and governance issues.
Rod’s legal positions are solidly grounded in reason and he is widely recognized as being an intelligent and tough litigator. Clients consistently praise Rod’s discretion and judgement.
Rod has worked in a variety of sectors over his 20-plus year career. This includes advising senior decision-makers in public and private corporations and large institutional clients including utility companies, universities, and colleges.
Rod served as a law clerk at the Supreme Court of British Columbia in 1994 and was called to the bar in 1995.
- Recognized Lawyer, Corporate and Commercial Litigation, Best Lawyers in Canada, 2019
Recent Speaking Engagements
- “The Duty To Provide Work And The Impact On Non-Working Working Notice”, Employment Law Conference 2016, The Continuing Legal Education Society of BC, May 2016
- “Professionalism And The Duties Of In-House Counsel”, Professionalism Conference for In-House Counsel, July 2014
- “Implied Term Of Notice In Commercial Contracts”, British Columbia Professional Legal Education Conference, November 2013
Professional & Community Activities
- Past President, Canadian Association of University Solicitors
- Volunteer, Access Justice
- Basketball coach, Various high school and club teams