For over 25 years, Rod has represented clients in significant litigation matters at the trial and appellate levels. This includes advising senior decision-makers in public and private corporations and large institutional clients, including utility companies, health authorities, universities, and colleges.
Rod’s practice is built on experience and solid relationships. He brings an appreciation of various sensitivities, an understanding of the history and relationships in the areas in which he practices, and a depth of understanding of the legal and regulatory environment.
Rod provides services in a practical, efficient, and sensitive manner. Focused on the effective resolution of complex problems whether they be commercial disputes, governance issues, regulatory disputes, or constitutional challenges.
Rod is very familiar with both advising administrative decision makers and appearing before administrative tribunals on behalf of his clients. Where necessary, Rod also assists clients in appearing before courts on judicial review applications to challenge administrative decisions. Rod has appeared at numerous tribunals as well as before all levels of court in British Columbia, and the Supreme Court of Canada.
Rod’s legal positions are solidly grounded in reason and he is widely recognized as being an intelligent and tough litigator. Clients consistently praise Rod’s discretion and judgement.
After being called to the bar in 1995, Rod served as a law clerk at the Supreme Court of British Columbia.
- Recognized Lawyer, Corporate and Commercial Litigation, Best Lawyers in Canada, 2019 – present
- Recognized Lawyer, Education Law, Best Lawyers in Canada, 2021 – present
- Recognized Lawyer, Administrative and Public Law, Best Lawyers in Canada, 2024
- Fellow, Litigation Counsel of America
- Recommended Lawyer, Employment Law (Employer), Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory, 2023
Professional & Community Activities
- Past President, Canadian Association of University Solicitors
- Volunteer, Access Justice
- Basketball coach, various high school and club teams
- Chair of UBC scholarly academic committee
- CBA Presenter: Contempt of Court Applications