Naz can best be described as a disruptor who sees a future different from the present. The status quo can hobble creative thinking. A disruptor can be dynamic and creative. Naz’s practice focuses on commercial litigation, employment, human rights, labour, and administrative law matters.
Naz is a senior litigator handling a wide range of commercial litigation for clients including shareholder and partnership disputes. He has conducted hearings before all levels of Court in Canada, including the Supreme Court of British Columbia, the British Columbia Court of Appeal and the Supreme Court of Canada. In addition, Naz maintains a labour and employment practice representing both employers and employees on employment, labour and pension issues. In this capacity he regularly appears before various administrative tribunals including the BC Employment Standards Tribunal, the BC Human Rights Tribunal, the Federal Human Rights Tribunal, in numerous labour arbitration hearings and in proceedings before both the federal and provincial labour relations boards and the superior courts.
In addition to providing legal representation, Naz seeks to provide solutions to his clients’ organizational concerns. Naz evaluates the risks and options associated with the hard decisions employers have to make, and provides cost-effective, pragmatic advice. He counsels on a wide range of workplace-related issues, including employee dismissals, the sale or acquisition of a business, internal policies, workforce re-structuring, and shareholder oppression, and partnership disputes.
Naz is a sought after speaker and presenter and is an Adjunct professor teaching employment law at the Peter A. Allard School of Law, University of British Columbia.
- Ranked Lawyer, Employment and Labour – British Columbia, Chambers Canada, 2019 – present
- Listed Lawyer, Labour and Employment Law, Best Lawyers in Canada, 2010 – present
- Listed Lawyer, Corporate and Commercial Litigation, Best Lawyers in Canada, 2021
- Ranked, Employment Law – Employer, Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory, 2012 – present
- Ranked, Who’s Who Legal: Canada, 2015 – present
- The Peter S. Hyndman Mentorship Award, Vancouver Bar Association, 2016
Recent Speaking Engagements
- “The Use Of Waiver Of Tort In Employment Litigation”, (co-presenter), Employment Law Conference 2016, The Continuing Legal Education Society of BC, May 2016
- “Duty Of Honesty And Duty Of Good Faith In Contractual Performance”, (co-presenter), Employment Law Conference 2015, The Continuing Legal Education Society of BC, May 2015
- “Fiduciary Duties: Duty Of Good Faith And Working Notice”, The Continuing Legal Education Society of BC, April 2013
Professional & Community Involvement
- Director, KidSport, North Shore division
- Director, Law Courts Inn, 2018 – present
- President, Law Courts Inn, 2017 – 2018
- Director and Vice President, Law Courts Inn, 2015 – 2016
- Member, National Conciliation and Arbitration Board of British Columbia for the Ismaili Community, 2015 – present
- Adjunct Professor, Employment Law, Peter A. Allard School of Law, University of British Columbia, 2015 – present
- Member, Administrative Law, Civil Litigation – Vancouver, Employment Law, and Labour Law sections, Canadian Bar Association, BC branch
- Member, Vancouver Bar Association
- Past Chair, Vancouver Multicultural Society, 1995 – 1999