Jon has a broad commercial litigation practice that includes experience with complex contract disputes, shareholder disputes (including oppression claims), business torts (including breach of confidence claims), real estate disputes, insolvency matters and environmental issues. He also regularly advises companies on plans of arrangements.
Jon has successfully acted on various complex and high-profile commercial disputes. He works hard to find creative and pragmatic solutions that achieve his client’s business and litigation objectives.
Jon has appeared before the British Columbia Supreme Court, British Columbia Court of Appeal, Alberta Court of Queen’s Bench, Federal Court of Canada and numerous administrative tribunals, including the Environmental Appeal Board. He also regularly appears before arbitrators.
- Counsel for the majority owners in a large restaurant chain in the successful defence of a claim by the minority owner (and sole director) for an order waiving the requirement to deliver financial statements. The case made new law on when a court will grant such a waiver under s. 200 of the Business Corporations Act. See: Cactus World Holdings Ltd. V. Earl’s Holdings Ltd., 2019 BCSC 903.
- Lead counsel for a large publicly-traded gold mining company in a successful application to set-aside a pre-judgment garnishment award. See: Hepworth v. Otso Gold Inc., 2020 BCSC 1086.
- Lead counsel on various petitions to obtain court approval for plans of arrangements.
- Counsel for a large professional sports team in the successful prosecution of an action to enforce a sponsorship agreement. See: Vancouver Canucks Limited Partnership v. Canon Canada Inc., 2013 BCSC 866 and 2014 BCCA 114.
- Counsel for the petitioner in a successful application to compel the Registrar of Land Titles to register a corrected strata plan. See: Entwistle v. The Owners Strata Plan EPS 3242, 2019 BCSC 1311.
- Counsel for a large private equity firm in the successful action (advanced in a private arbitration) to recover costs paid under several commercial leases.
- Counsel for a large private real estate developer in a multi-year private arbitration to separate ownership of the business between the shareholders.
- Counsel for a large diary company in the successful defence of charge brought under the Fisheries Act. See: R. v. 3853942 Canada Inc., 2017 BCPC 298.
Professional & Community Activities
- Member, Law Society of British Columbia, 2010 – present
- Member, Canadian Bar Association
Year of Call
- British Columbia, 2010
- JD, University of Victoria, 2009
- BCom, University of Alberta, 2006