Hein makes it his mission to help clients avert litigation if that is possible; to help them find early off-ramps if litigation is unavoidable; and to minimize the present value of the total cost of litigation.
He has held senior management positions with Kaiser Resources, the Denver Broncos and Southeastern Capital Corporation, a U.S. private equity firm.
Hein has appeared before the Supreme Court of Canada, the B.C. Court of Appeal and Supreme Court, as well as various regulatory agencies and courts in B.C. and elsewhere.
He was appointed Queen’s Counsel in 2001 and was made a Fellow of the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators in 2010. Hein is fluent in Dutch.
- Ranked Lawyer, Corporate and Commercial Litigation, The Best Lawyers in Canada, 2020
- Ranked Lawyer, Litigation: General Commercial – British Columbia, Chambers Canada, 2020
- Leading Lawyer, Litigation: Corporate Commercial, The Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory, 2019
- Top 50 Trial Lawyers in Canada, Benchmark Canada: The Definitive Guide to Canada’s Leading Litigation Firms and Attorneys, 2018
- Litigation Star in General Commercial Litigation, Benchmark Canada: The Definitive Guide to Canada’s Leading Litigation Firms and Attorneys, 2018
- Lifetime Achievement Honours, The Definitive Guide to Canada’s Leading Litigation Firms and Attorneys, 2015
- Top 40 Trial Lawyer, Benchmark Canada
- Local Litigation Star for British Columbia, Benchmark Canada, 2012-2014
Recent Speaking Engagements
- “Civil Litigation”, University of British Columbia, Faculty of Law and the Canadian Institute.
Professional & Community Involvement
- Member, Canadian Bar Association
- Member, Board of Trade
Year of Call
- British Columbia, 1974
- LLM, London School of Economics, 1973
- LLB, University of British Columbia, 1972
- BA, University of British Columbia, 1969
- Baarns Lyceum, Baarn, Netherlands, 1964