Supervising employees in a unionized workplace has its own unique set of rules and challenges. In this workshop, we will provide supervisors and managers with practical tools to successfully apply their management rights and administer collective agreements in the workplace. Participants will gain a thorough understanding of the legal and practical landscape to manage unionized employees.
- Understanding the roles, rights and obligations of the employee, union and manager/supervisor
- Limits on management rights
- Setting expectations, performance standards and workplace rules
- Enforcing rules and exercising management rights reasonably
- Understanding the collective agreement
- The intent of collective agreement language
- What happens if a dispute arises over interpretation
- Managing employee performance
- Setting expectations and evaluating performance
- Identifying performance issues, dealing with persistent problems and responding to the conduct
- Coaching for improvement and success
- Applying progressive discipline to manage misconduct
- Dealing appropriately with culpable and non-culpable behaviour
- Developing discipline guidelines and steps to progressive discipline from warnings to suspensions to dismissals
- Understanding the ‘just cause’ standard to discipline and circumstances to consider
- Investigating misconduct and conducting a proper investigation
- Procedural fairness and how to plan an investigation
- Conducting interviews – what questions to ask, how to document the story
- How to evaluate the evidence and make a sound decision
Who should attend?
This workshop is suitable for supervisors, managers, human resources, labour relations specialists and administrators wanting to successfully apply management rights in a unionized workplace.
Payment is required to confirm your registration. A $100 cancellation fee per person will be charged if you cancel your registration less than 5 business days before the event. A refund will not be issued for same day cancellations or no-shows.
The Chartered Professionals in Human Resources of British Columbia and Yukon (CPHR) has pre-approved this seminar for 5.50 continuing professional development (CPD) hours.
- Type Workshop
- Date December 6, 2019
- Time 9:00 am - 4:00 pm
- Location Metropolitan Hotel Vancouver, 645 Howe Street, Vancouver, BC
- Cost $780 + GST per person
- Includes Continental breakfast, lunch, refreshments and printed materials