Supervising employees in a unionized workplace has its own unique set of rules and challenges. In this course, we will provide supervisors and managers with practical tools to successfully apply their management rights and administer collective agreements in the workplace.
Participants will gain a thorough understanding of the legal and practical landscape to manage unionized employees, including:
- Understanding the roles, rights and obligations of the employee, union and manager/supervisor, including limits on management rights and enforcing performance expectations and workplace rules
- Understanding the collective agreement – the intent of collective agreement language and what happens when a dispute arises over interpretation
- Managing employee performance – setting expectations and evaluating performance, and applying progressive discipline to manage culpable and non-culpable misconduct
- Investigating misconduct and conducting a proper investigation.
Harris’ Foundations courses empower attendees with the skills and knowledge to tackle their daily workplace law challenges. Providing an introductory overview on integral topics like Human Rights, Performance Management, and Privacy, Foundations courses have been developed for new managers and department heads, junior HR professionals, and executives looking to better understand an employer’s legal obligations in the workplace.
Learning format and materials
This course will be completed over 2 online sessions and will incorporate case studies and hypothetical scenarios to provide participants with the opportunity to apply their learnings. All attendees will be provided access to the presentation for 30 days, along with additional resource materials for on-the-job reference.
Who should attend?
This introductory course for new supervisors, managers, human resources, labour relations specialists and administrators wanting to successfully apply management rights in a unionized workplace.
If you are unable to attend live, registrants will receive access to the webinar recordings for 30 days. Sorry, no cancellations or refunds available.Register
- Type Foundations Series
- Date February 9-10, 2021
- Time 9:00 am - 11:00 am
- Location Online (Pacific Standard Time)
- Cost $300 + GST per person