Harris & Company LLP is pleased to invite your organization to our First Nations Employment Law Conference in Port Alberni.
We welcome human resources managers, administrators, department managers, and members of Council to join us for this full-day workshop. The conference is comprised of topics specifically for a range of First Nations’ workplaces such as administration, economic development ventures, schools, and health departments.
Human rights in the First Nations workplace
- Overview of the human rights legislation that applies to the First Nations workplace
- Discussion of the ‘duty to accommodate’ and how to deal with specific disabilities such as addiction
My way or the high way: Cannabis at work
- Discussion on the impact of cannabis on the workplace including a review of cannabis basics (from recreational drug to prescription medicine) and the current state of the law
- Appropriate responses when impairment is detected (accommodate, discipline or dismissal) and how to conduct an effective investigation
- How to draft and introduce effective policies
- A look at the unjust dismissal provisions under the Canada Labour Code
- Different sources of liability that can arise from a dismissal, and steps you can take to minimize potential liability
- The impact on your workplace following the Supreme Court of Canada decision on the ability of federally regulated organizations to terminate employees without cause
Social media in the workplace
- Discussion on the various issues that can arise in the workplace as a result of the use of social media
- What constitutes ‘private’ information?
- How to establish effective internal policies to manage social media in your workplace
Payment is required to confirm your registration. A $50 cancellation fee per person will be charged if you cancel your registration less than 5 business days before the event. Refunds will not be issued for no-shows.
- Type Conference
- Date March 12, 2019
- Time 8:30 am - 4:00 pm
- Location Best Western Plus Barclay Hotel, Arrowsmith Room, 4277 Stamp Avenue, Port Alberni, BC
- Cost $400 + GST per person. Group rates available for 3 or more participants.
- Includes Continental breakfast, lunch, refreshments and printed materials