Join us at our one-day workshop comprised of topics specifically for a range of First Nations workplaces, administrations, economic development ventures, schools, and health departments. We welcome HR managers, administrators, department managers and members of Council to attend.
The conference program will include the following topics:
Human rights in the First Nations workplace
- Overview of the human rights legislation that applies to the First Nations workplace.
- Discussion on the ‘duty to accommodate’ and how to deal with specific disabilities such as addiction.
My way or the high way: Cannabis at work
- Discussion on the impact of cannabis on the workplace including a review of cannabis basics (from recreational drug to prescription medicine) and the current state of the law.
- Appropriate responses when impairment is detected (accommodate, discipline or dismissal) and how to conduct an effective investigation.
- How to draft and introduce effective substance use policies.
- A look at the unjust dismissal provisions under the Canada Labour Code.
- Different sources of liability that can arise from a dismissal, and steps you can take to minimize potential liability.
- The impact on your workplace following the Supreme Court of Canada decision on the ability of federally regulated organizations to terminate employees without cause.
Social media in the workplace
- Discussion on the various issues that can arise in the workplace as a result of the use of social media.
- What constitutes ‘private’ information?
- How to establish effective internal policies to manage social media in your workplace.
About the speaker
Scott McCann is the leader of Harris’ indigenous employment law practice area. He provides legal advice to a number of First Nations groups throughout British Columbia, Alberta, Yukon and Northwest Territories. His practice focuses on human resources, terminations, policy development and human rights.
Payment is required to confirm your registration. A $50 cancellation fee per person will be charged if you cancel your registration less than 5 business days before the event. A refund will not be issued if you do not advise us of your cancellation before the event, or if you do not show up to the event.Register
- Type Conference
- Date July 23, 2019
- Time 9:00 am - 4:00 pm
- Location Kelowna Yacht Club, Spinnaker Room, 1370 Water Street, Kelowna, BC
- Cost $400 + GST. Group rates available for 3 or more participants.
- Includes Continental breakfast, lunch, refreshments and printed materials