Managing privacy obligations and access to information requests is becoming an increasing challenge for private sector organizations due to advancing technologies, evolving business models and shifting consumer and employee expectations. The recognition of privacy rights by courts and tribunals have also raised the stakes in privacy compliance.
This interactive workshop is designed to provide HR professionals and privacy officers in private sector organizations with the tools they need to review their access to information and privacy management practices, and implement a framework in line with the BC Personal Information Protection Act (BC PIPA). All organizations, even those that are not in the business of specifically commercializing consumer information, are already subject to a range of privacy obligations and expectations.
By the end of the workshop, participants will gain a firm understanding of the fundamentals of the private sector privacy regime under BC PIPA. You will learn:
- Key privacy and access principles, including how to manage the collection, use and disclosure of personal information
- The privacy, human rights, and labour and employment law implications of employee monitoring (including video surveillance, GPS, keystroke technology), background checks and access
- How to address and manage privacy breaches
- To craft privacy policies and manage notifications and consents
- To implement recommended record retention practices and deal with privacy impact assessments
- Practical risk management solutions to handle specific challenges in workplace privacy including cloud computing risks
Payment is required to confirm your registration. A $50 cancellation fee per person will be charged if you cancel your registration less than 5 business days before the event. A refund will not be issued if you do not advise us of your cancellation before the event.
The Chartered Professionals in Human Resources of British Columbia and Yukon (CPHR) has pre-approved this seminar for 3.50 continuing professional development (CPD) hours.
- Type Workshop
- Date November 27, 2019
- Time 9:00 am - 1:00 pm
- Location Metropolitan Hotel Vancouver, 645 Howe Street, Vancouver, BC
- Cost $400 + GST per person
- Includes Continental breakfast, refreshments and printed materials