Legal News

Canadians will need passports to enter the United States

Canadians travelling to the United States will soon be required to have a passport or other secure travel document when crossing the border.

Beginning December 31, 2006, Canadians will be required to carry a passport or equivalent travel document for all air and sea travel to or from the United States. On December 31, 2007, a passport or other accepted document will also be required for all land border crossings.

Presently, the U.S. Department of States intends to treat SENTRI, NEXUS and FAST program cards as acceptable travel documents.