Colin Gibson is Harris & Company’s managing partner. He has practiced labour, employment, human rights, and post-secondary education law since his call to the British Columbia bar in 1986. Colin is ranked by his peers as one of the leading management-side labour and employment lawyers in British Columbia.
The majority of Colin’s practice involves acting for universities, colleges, and institutes in British Columbia’s post-secondary and university sectors. In addition to providing advice and representation on employment, labour relations, human rights, and student issues, Colin provides strategic guidance to higher education clients on a variety of complex matters such as governance, policy development, executive compensation, and statutory compliance.
Colin also advises and represents employers in a wide range of private sector industries. He builds long relationships with his clients by understanding their goals and priorities, and by being diligent, strategic, and responsive. He is highly regarded not only by his employer clients, but also by board members, union representatives, and other key stakeholders.
- Listed Lawyer, Labour and Employment Law, Best Lawyers in Canada, 2006 – present
- Recommended, Employment Law – Employer, Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory, 2012 – present
- Recommended, Labour Relations – Management, Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory, 2013 – present
- Distinguished, Peer Rated for High Professional Achievement, Martindale-Hubbell
Recent Speaking Engagements
- “Managing Employee Performance And Conduct”, Okanagan College, July 2018
- “Exclusions from Union Bargaining Units”, Douglas College, February 2018
- “Excluded and Executive Compensation: The Legal Framework” , BCIT, December 2016
- “Managing Employee Performance and Conduct”, Douglas College, July 2016
- “Workplace Investigation Training”, KPU, January 2016
- “Managing Employee Performance and Conduct”, Justice Institute of British Columbia, April 2015
- “Contracts and Indemnities”, (panelist), ERM 2015 Conference, October 2015
- “Ask An Expert” column, Canadian Employment Law Today, 2005 – present
- Bridge: Employment Law column, (co-author), British Columbia Dental Organization Newsletter, 2007 – present
Professional & Community Involvement
- Member, Canadian Association of University Solicitors
- Advocacy Committee, Canadian Association of Counsel to Employers
- Former Chair and current Member, Labour Law section, Canadian Bar Association, BC branch
- Member, Employment Law section, Canadian Bar Association, BC branch
- Member, Chartered Professionals in Human Resources of British Columbia & Yukon