Alan is one of the province’s leading lawyers in the field of Workers Compensation and Occupational Health and Safety (OHS) on behalf of employers. His practice in this area focuses on representing employers in matters involving assessments, employment status issues, workers’ claims for compensation, and OHS. Alan is highly respected in the field; he was retained by the former British Columbia government to be the core reviewer of the Workers Compensation Act, and his critical recommendations led to its rewriting.
Alan also has extensive experience providing labour relations services and advice to employers, with a focus on collective bargaining in both the private and public sectors. He also presents training workshops for clients on a variety of labour-related topics.
Alan takes an engaged, focused, and enthusiastic approach to his practice. He thrives on finding resolutions for his clients by meticulously gathering information to build a solid case. He pays close attention to facts and details, while being sure to avoid assumptions. He brings both a deliberate focus and a sense of humour to his work.
- Lawyer of the Year, Workers’ Compensation Law – Vancouver, Best Lawyers in Canada, 2016, 2018 and 2020
- Listed Lawyer, Workers’ Compensation, Best Lawyers in Canada, 2012 – present
- Listed Lawyer, Labour and Employment Law, Best Lawyers in Canada, 2010 – present
- Recommended, Workers’ Compensation – Employer, Canadian Legal Lexpert Directory, 2017 – present
Recent Speaking Engagements
- “WorkSafeBC Discriminatory Action Complaints: Pitfalls For Employers From A Lawyer’s Perspective”, Employers’ Forum, November 2016
- “Occupational Disease Adjudication After Fraser Health – Impact Of The Decision From The Employers’ Perspective”, Workers’ Compensation Law Update, Continuing Legal Education Society of BC, October 2016
Professional & Community Activities
- Legal Adviser (ex-officio), Employers’ Forum
- Member, Canadian Bar Association